Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Dinner at Pietrasanta - wedding anniversary-27 June

It was our very first wedding anniversary on 27 June. Throughout the week, both of us were thinking very hard for a suitable place to have a small celebration together. It was made more difficult as we had recently eaten at a number of good restaurants. My wife commented that we have not been to Pietrasanta and Nicolas for quite some time and so it was decided that we would go to either of these restaurants. Nicolas was fully booked for Saturday evening and we were fortunate to make a reservation at Pietrasanta.
We made it a point to go slightly early to get a good parking space and to talk to Loris, the chef cum owner. We were pleasantly surprised that both Loris and his brother, Giuseppe recognised us as we have not been there for quite some time. We found out that the restaurant was only opened on Wednesday as they had gone back to Italy for a couple of weeks of holidays. How lucky for us!
Both of us shared the sauteed clams and aglio olio for starters. Loris does very good sauteed clams and mean aglio olio. Our food guru, Alain, told me once that to judge if an Italian chef is good, just eat his aglio olio. Loris' aglio olio always passes with flying colours. They are chewy, not too oily and simply tasty. We also had salami and blood sauages which Loris just brought back from Milan. They were simply wonderful especially the blood sausage though my wife didn't really like it especially when she discovered what they are...kekeke.
For the mains, my wife had grilled wagyu beef tenderloin and I had grilled pork neck. We always love the way Loris does grilled wagyu beef. I was, however, disappointed with the grilled pork neck. But I have to say that it was my fault as I asked Loris to grilled it thinly sliced. Result was that the pork was quite charred, hard and not juicy; unlike my wife's beef tenderloin. However, I was quite pleased with the 1997 Chianti that Giuseppe recommended to me. Must remember the name the next time I go there.
We finished the night with a melting chocolate cake and a slice of pear cake.
Overall, it was a very good dinner for us. Pietrasanta is a nice place for a good family meal. The place is friendly especially with Loris and Giesuppe around. The place is a bit noisy but in no way rowdy. The food is not refined but this is what Tuscany food is meant to be. For those who have been in local restaurants in Tuscany, you will know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment