Sunday, August 16, 2009

Pluots????? - 14 August 2009


Was at my usual favourite fruit outlet on Friday afternoon. This time around, I bought some Oregon blueberries, Canada cherries and California pluots. Also bought passion fruits and a miniature watermelon from another shop. Photo above shows 2 ripe passion fruits and 3 pluots.

Pluots??? I had no clue what pluots are and thought they are apricots (I was 30% right). There is no such entry in both my Oxford and Chambers pocket dictionaries. A quick google revealed that pluots are a hybrid of plums (70%) and apricots (70%). They are highly sweet. The pluots that I bought have a initial sour taste followed by sweetness. They are juicy. Read that they are full of vitamins A and C and are cholesterol and sodium free and very low fat content. Definitely this is another fruit that I will like. They are only available from late May to September and growth in the Central Vally in California.

No comments:

Post a Comment