Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Oswaldo@Maxwell Chambers

Was at Oswaldo for lunch today. First time there. Heard extreme views of the place. My colleague had a bad experience with them just the other week and I think it had something to do with one rude waitress. Anyway, I went there with an open mind.

The place was packed with Shenton Way crowd and mostly of the foreign type; lots of ang mohs. And it was noisy; more like a typical Hong Kong coffee shop.

The waiter came by and rattled off the specials for the day. Way too fast for our liking. Anyway, we decided to share cold cuts and cheese for starters, a first course of aglio olio with truffles and a main course of t-bone steak.

The cold cuts were atypical of cold cuts served in western restaurants here. Definitely not authentic Italian. I thought the aglio olio looked and tasted like no aglio olio I eaten before. After checking with the waiter, we realized that they did not served us aglio olio but some other pasta which I did not catch the name. My host wanted to complain but "forget it" I said, since they have no courtesy to inform us of the change; just don't go next time.



The t-bone steak was okay but not great. The steak came wholesome and I asked them to slice it so we can share. But it came back in three plates for the three of us. I was not amused as I definitely told them that we are sharing. Sharing means you put them in the centre of the table and we dig in ourselves. I don't know what's wrong with the waiters and waitress here. It was the second time they heard wrongly. Either I spoke too soft or the place was too noisy or both! No wonder my colleague was pissed the other day.

Overall, if you want to have some western food, this place is a-okay. But definitely not authentic Italian and I suspect they are promoting this place as such to cater to the business crowd. Will not go again unless being invited.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment